Thursday, September 18, 2014

Opportunism

Opportunism is defined as the taking of opportunities as and when they arise, regardless of planning or principle. In economics we tend to think of it as taking a chance for personal gain. Most individuals have been presented with a scenario in which they had the option of acting opportunistic or playing it safe. Growing up my parents always preached to think before you act; a lesson that has stuck with me for much of my life. Most times I find it best to play it safe, analyze the situation and make an educated decision. However, I have found that there are plenty of times where it’s best to act opportunistically. Acting opportunistically has a chance to turn into a great story or experience. There is one time in particular in which I did not act with opportunism and it end up closing a door to a great opportunity.

A few years ago I was looking for a summer job that would work well with a summer school. The class that I took was my fourth year of Spanish, a requirement that I would need to complete in order to graduate this May. Spanish wasn’t my favorite subject and I felt that it would be less challenging and would make space for a more interesting class I could register for next Fall. The search went well and I was able to find a great paying job that would pay 13.50/hr at 30 hrs a week that fit well with my night class at Elgin Community College. However, a few weeks prior to my start date I was presented with a very good work opportunity from my Uncle at Garrets Popcorn in downtown Chicago. One of their interns had dropped out and they were looking for someone to fill the position as soon as possible. I was fairly ecstatic when I received the call and was given number for the supervisor to go over the specifics.

I got in contact with John (the supervisor) the next day. He informed me that the job work require me to work 30 to 35 hours a week, Monday thru Thursday. I wanted to accept the job immediately but I had my doubts about whether it was the right move. I was disappointed with the pay rate at 10.25 and hour; however I would be working on Wacker Dr., right on the Chicago River. In addition, I would be working a team of other people around my age. It did however conflict with my class at Elgin Community College because of the time it would take to get back from the city. I told John that I would give it some thought and get back to him in a couple days. He said that it was fine but he was also in contact with another person for the job and the first one to get back to him would get it.

The next day I was seriously contemplating rejecting the offer and sticking with my previous plans. However, the next day I had a change of heart, I felt that the working in Chicago would be a great experience and teach me much more than working the other job. I gave John a call the next day only to find out that the other prospect had already accepted the offer and filled the position.


Although it was nice to get Spanish out of the way, the other job was extremely boring and I did not get any enjoyment out of it. If I would have acted opportunistically I would have secured a position at Garrett’s which would have been a much more enjoyable and useful experience to carry along with me in the future. 

2 comments:

  1. This story seems devoid of the ethical issues entailed with opportunistic behavior. You made a choice, then afterward another opportunity presented itself, which if you took would mean you'd have to undo the previous choice. That happens, but it doesn't seem there was any party damaged by reversing course, unless your first employer couldn't fill the position with somebody else, but that you didn't mention.

    So I wonder why you chose this example. Can you see some tie between it and the economics we are studying? I don't, but perhaps there are aspects of the situation that are relevant that you haven't communicated in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have expanded more on the costs that my summer job would have taken if I had accepted the offer from the firm in the city. Since I was presented with the opportunity at Garrett's just two weeks prior to my start date, accepting the offer would have harmed the other company. At that point in time it would have been difficult for them to find a replacement for me that could begin work on my start date. This would force the company to distribute my work to one or more current employees, slowing down their efficiency and forcing them to work longer hours until a replacement is found. Thus I cause harm to other employees by taking a job in Chicago

    ReplyDelete